The ‘Toronto Blessing’ (now called ‘Catch the Fire Toronto’) began in January 1994 and its fallout has been continuously poisoning the church for a dozen years now, even having invaded once solid evangelical organizations. The Toronto Blessing had roots in the earlier Latter Rain movement and was denounced by the Assemblies of God in 1949. Nevertheless, it still gets very favorable press in Charismatic circles and publications, most notably Charisma Magazine.
At the same time, those with sound biblical discernment skills can easily see it for what it is – heretical poison. Recently, Chris Rosebrough devoted a Pirate Christian Radio segment to the movement, using a teaching by Alan Morrison from 1994. You can listen to it here, or you can watch the YouTube here. The presentation discusses the roots of the movement, it’s main personalities, and its purposes.
This post summaries the purposes of Toronto Blessing, both Satan’s and God’s, as presented in Alan Morrison’s presentation:
1. Destroy the authority of scripture.
· Making it subordinate to personal revelation(s).
· Making it subordinate to human personal/subjective experience(s).
· Twisting it (scripture) to justify unbiblical ideas. (Psalm 23-he makes me lie down) Decide what you want to believe and find a ‘proof’ text.
2. Stop Christians using their minds. Like the New Age movement.
- Through the suppression of discernment
- By eradicating the centrality of doctrine in the Christian life. (Relationship with Jesus is more important than doctrine.)
3. Destroy the work of Biblical evangelism.
- By stopping the mouths of preachers of God’s word.
- By removing the heart from out of the gospel (Christ died for our sins).
4. Intimidate Christians into surrendering to Satan.
- Death to those who resist the ‘new’ move of the Spirit. (Benny Hinn, William Branham, Paul Crouch)
5. Seduce Christians into believing there is some ‘higher’ form of salvation that they should seek. Faith is not enough – there’s MORE!.
6. Make believers confuse pietism (experience of divine presence, etc.) with true spirituality.
7. To bring an occult initiation into the heart of the church. Initiation into all the forces of the New Age.
8. Prepare Christians for the coming great deception (Benjamin Crème and The New Age)
1. Drive his true people to run to him alone for comfort and salvation – to become serious students of the Word.
2. Sift the churches – separating the true church from false churches, denominations and movements.
I highly recommend watching the YouTube, which is rather long, to get a real appreciation for the seriousness of the poison that has invaded the church. Chris Rosebrough’s audio doesn’t really do the presentation justice.
I also pray that current Charismatics would either listen to or watch the presentation. It very well could be a giant wake up call for those deceived into thinking Toronto was a genuine move of the Holy Spirit when it was not.