Episode 6 Highlights, in order:
1. Stephen’s mother has a fit as the wrapped body of Stephen is carried through the streets of Jerusalem.
2. Paul shows up at the desert camp of the Christians and preaches against the new movement.
3. Stephen is buried.
4. Caiphas discusses the pain the Jews are experiencing with his father-in-law(?) who wants Caiphas to stop persecuting the Christians.
5. Back to Paul preaching in the Christian camp against the new movement. Peter and Paul face off and argue about prophecy.
6. Paul is invited to sit on the Sanhedrin by Gamaliel(?).
7. Caiphas converses with Herod and gives him a gift, I guess demonstrating the political environment.
8. Paul tells Caiphas wife he has been preaching against the ‘movement’ in the Christian camp.
9. Mary Magdalene sternly counsels Peter in the Camp.
10. Paul asks Caiphas for ‘authority’ to continue preaching against Christianity.
11. Peter and John return to Jerusalem to preach in the city.
12. Paul shows up with ‘authority’ to continue his persecution, Paul and Peter face off again and Christians are arrested by Jewish religious leaders.
13. Pilate and his wife discuss Caiphas and Pilate wonders about the closeness of his wife’s relationship with Caiphas’ wife.
14. Pilate prays to ‘Minerva’ concerning who should be high priest.. Some interesting coin flipping takes place and Caiphas continues as high priest.
15. Paul gets sealed documents authorizing his persecution of the Christians, shows up again in the streets (better dressed), recruits a mob and distributes weapons and armor. They invade Christian homes, beating folks and making arrests. Paul and Peter face off again.
16. Paul and his mob head for the Christian camp. Everyone leaves, but Peter stays. Oil is poured in a trench that encircles the camp, that seems to have been dug for just such an occasion. When Paul & Co are inside the camp Peter sets the oil on fire, glares and shouts at Pauls, and leaves the scene. The end.
In terms of biblically accuracy, this might have been the worst of the lot so far. While it’s true to the biblical account that Paul had papers of authority to persecute Christians, the entire rest of the episode was pretty much ‘filling in the blanks’ left out of the Bible.
Why do I call it ‘The Degradation Continues’? Maybe because this entire series has been an adventure in missing the point of the message of the Gospel. My God and Savior deserves better.
Thank you for the points you made exposing AD missing the points (pun intended).
I’ve been listening to sound critiques when they come out and I just listened to one on ‘Issues, ETC’ (A Lutheran Public Radio podcast) and a comment made was that the farther the series goes, there seems to be less and less actually biblically accurate content. Ep 6 was based on Acts 9:1-2 – Paul had papers authorizing him to persecute Christians. Paul received papers from Caiphas in the episode. That was a couple of minutes of video. The rest was ALL conjecture.
LikeLiked by 1 person